Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Ham

I really wish that I could remember to take pictures of dinner before I eat it.  Then I could share with you!  Last night I baked a ham with pineapple.  Why do we reserve ham for holidays?  It is such a great dinner and you get leftovers.  There are so many ways to repackage ham.  Here are some of my favorites:

1.  Ham and cheese sandwhiches (heated up so that the cheese is gooey, melting, yummy).  I like them on a hamburger bun.
2.  I have a great recipe for a ham and rice soup with carrots and pecans.  It's sooo good.  It's the kind of soup you crave on a rainy, cold, fall day.  Recipe follows...
3.  Bean Soup cooked all day with the ham bone and served over cornbread.

Creamy Wild Rice Soup
1 cup cooked wild rice
3 T chopped green onion
1/4 cup shredded carrot
3T chopped pecans
6 T butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup diced fully cooked ham
1/4 t pepper
1 cup half-and-half cream

Make rice and set aside.  In a large soup kettle, saute the onions, carrots and pecans in butter for 1-2 minutes.  Stir in flour until blended.  Gradually add broth.  Bring to a boil.  Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Reduce heat.  Add the ham, rice, and pepper.  Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Reduce heat.  Add cream and heat through (do not boil).  Top with green onion, if you like.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment