Monday, December 6, 2010

The Fab Five - Day 1

I have had a few requests for my bulk cooking tips.  So, this week each day I am going to share recipes that are great for bulk cooking with hamburger.

I only buy hamburger in family packs.  It is not worth my time to cook one pound at at time.  I don't enjoy washing dishes and that would mean that I have to clean 5 skillets.  That is not for me.  So, when family packs are on sale, I stock up!

I used to buy 5 pounds and make 5 different recipes to freeze.  But, now I buy 5 pounds and make the same recipe in bulk.  We eat one that day and then I freeze the others for the future.  Since we have 2 teenagers, 5 pounds makes about 3 meals.

I only freeze in freezer-quality ziplock bags.  I have an old milk carton that I cut the top off of and put the bag in there to fill it.  Then I squeeze extra air out and lay it flat to freeze.  That way it takes up minimal space in my freezer. 

So, I cook all 5 pounds of meat at one time, then I add 5 packages of taco seasoning and 1 cup of water.  Stir and heat a little till the liquid is gone.  Then I divide the meat into 4 sections.  We eat one that night and I freeze the other 4.  On a day that I need a quick meal, I defrost the meat and dinner is quick!

Meals you can make with taco meat:
Tacos
Taco salad
Taco soup
Beef Enchiladas
Taco Ring (Pampered Chef Recipe)

If you need the recipes for any of these, just ask.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment